Sunday, March 6, 2011

Magnets To Cover Washer

A half-marathon in the shaft

Martin is ultimately to blame. His blog is not only beautiful images from the completely unknown to me Palatinate Forest. Some time ago, he has also mountainous competitions reported that he wants to run ahead of the Rennsteig SM. By then came the fancy for me to run after four months of conscious abstinence from running events again organized.
The Underground Half Marathon in Sondershausen was exactly my idea - not too short, many mountains and not to cold temperatures. Nearly 5 years I've been here ever run at Crystal Run 10 km and have written a report . So I had an idea of what to expect. The entrance in the narrow winding cage in the mine was exciting again, but went without waiting, because in this year's first edition of the half marathon only 160 of the possible 400 runners had registered. The underground halls
are impressive - there is a concert hall, bowling alley and restaurant.

As was the miners' band played at the start. "Good luck is the Steiger" had a double meaning here, because immediately after the start caught the slope at 10%, which then sometimes up to 18% increase. (The elevation profile of the organizer but not in the flyer posted on the internet). After 1.4 miles you get past 120 meters and the warmest part of the track reached - and I mean really hot. Then it went in stifling heat 2 km almost flat and then, 1.8 km downhill again. At the end of each round is rewarded with fresh air at the lift cage.
The first round I was comfortable with running friend Heiko. We also admired a kind of junkyard. On the edge of the running track were dozens of old vans, which once did service here. When the mine was shut down, no one has taken apart for transport to the top. Shall collect them on a thick layer of salt dust. Unfortunately, I had the camera not in it when running.

The second round was I then quickly, I wanted to do a quick training run, but not a full match. It was important for me to run all the mountains. Here I overtook a lot by going runners. After 37 min in the first round, then I needed every minute about 30. Drinking on the two aid stations was required because the heat and 30% humidity, the body auszehrten.
That one was nice served at the aid agencies should necessarily be mentioned. The time in the goal of 2:07, I found a bit disappointing. Placed 60th of 138 men set the time but in the right relationship. By 1:45 it would have been tenth. After a short breather I took meanwhile dropped my plan again and jogged another lap. There I met Bridget and Linda know who completed their last round alone. As a good deed I transported some salt lumps for their children to the finish. It was worth it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment